TikTok has become a go-to source for information on various topics, including hair loss. Rosemary oil is one allegedly effective treatment that has taken the app by storm. But is it actually an effective remedy?
TikTok has seen over 7.3 billion views of #hairloss and combined views of #baldingsolution, #hairlosstreatment, and #hairthickening top 364.7 million. This is unsurprising, given that an estimated one in four men will experience hair loss before age 21. And while hair loss anxiety is nothing new, the same can’t be said for the purported cure that’s taking TikTok by storm: rosemary oil.
What is rosemary oil?
Since ancient times, rosemary oil has been used for its therapeutic benefits. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects it is known to have may be beneficial to the health of your hair. According to specific research, rosemary oil may aid in promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss.
What does the research say?
Specific evidence points to rosemary oil’s potential efficacy in treating hair loss. In a 2015 study, it was discovered that rosemary oil was just as efficient at promoting hair growth as the hair loss treatment minoxidil. Another investigation found that rosemary oil may effectively treat alopecia areata, resulting in bald patches.
It’s essential to remember that there has yet to be much study on using rosemary oil for hair loss. The majority of conducted research has been minor and brief. The long-term efficacy of rosemary oil for hair loss requires further study.
The usefulness of rosemary oil for hair loss is debatable among experts. Some trichologists, or hair loss specialists, believe rosemary oil could be a safe and effective hair loss treatment. Others are doubtful, citing the scarcity of research on rosemary oil.
If you plan on using rosemary oil to treat hair loss, consult your doctor or a trichologist first. They can assist you in determining your risk factors for hair loss and whether rosemary oil may benefit you.
Here are some additional tips for people with hair loss:
- Don’t freak out. Hair loss is a frequent problem that doesn’t always indicate something dangerous.
- Seek a diagnosis. There are many distinct types of hair loss, each requiring different therapy. It is vital to have a diagnosis from a doctor or trichologist to receive the appropriate treatment.
- Take care of the primary cause. If your hair loss is caused by a root problem, such as a medical condition or medication, treating the underlying cause may help to improve your hair loss.
- Consider medications. Several medications are accessible that can be used to treat hair loss. It’s necessary to discuss which medicine is best for you with your doctor or trichologist because these medicines have various action methods.
- Try different types of therapy. Other methods of treating hair loss include laser therapy, finasteride (Propecia), and minoxidil (Rogaine). Although some patients may benefit from these treatments, only some are good candidates.
- Be patient. Results from hair loss treatments can take some time to appear. If you don’t notice results right away, don’t give up.
- Take care of your hair. Even if you are experiencing hair loss, there are many things you can do to take care of your hair and make it look its best. These include avoiding heat styling, using mild shampoo and conditioner, and getting regular trims.
Remember that you are not alone. There are various ways to deal with hair loss, a widespread issue. To get the best guidance, speak with your doctor or a trichologist.