The Oslob Tourism Office has recently reopened its most-visited tourist attractions — the whale shark watching and Sumilon Sandbar — starting on January 22, 2022.
This marks the start of the gradual recovery of one of the hardest-hit towns by Typhoon Odette last December 16, 2021.
Did you miss the pristine and clear water of sumilon island? How about the world’s famous giant whalesharks? Good news! We’re now opening our door again who wish to see these beautiful tourist attractions of Oslob.– Oslob Tourism Office on a Facebook post
Now is the time more than ever to support and travel local. Here’s everything you need to know to experience these wonderful attractions in Oslob, Cebu.
Oslob Whale Shark Watching
Witness the peaceful whale sharks in their natural habitat with this whale shark watching tour in Oslob.
• Whale Shark Watching is available daily from 6:00 AM to 12:00 PM only.
|Filipino Tourists||Whale watching (no swimming) + Life Jacket||No longer available|
|Filipino Tourists||Snorkeling with the Whale + Life Jacket||₱500|
|Foreign Tourists||Snorkeling with the Whale + Life Jacket||₱500|
- The activity is good for 30 minutes only.
- Diving and snorkeling are limited in time and people. The activity is by batch.
- TIP: If you don’t want to wait in the line for too long and avoid the horrible traffic in the city and the southern parts, make sure to leave Cebu City or Mactan at around 2 or 3 AM.
- All whale shark watchers must undergo orientation at the Briefing Center on the rules for interaction with whale sharks.
- No feeding of whale sharks by unauthorized personnel.
- Do not touch, ride, or chase a whale shark.
- Do not restrict normal movement or behavior of the shark.
- Do not use flash photography.
- Do not create splash when entering the water.
- Do not wear sunscreen if you are going to enter the water.
- Motor boats are prohibited in the area. Only paddle boats are allowed.
- Viewing is limited to 30 minutes.
- Maintain a minimum distance of 5m from the head, 6m from the tail (this differs from the 2m from the head, and 5m from the tail stated in the ordinance).
HOW TO GET THERE?
BY BUS: From the South Bus Terminal (near Emall), ride a Ceres bus going to “Bato-Oslob”. All buses bound for Oslob operate 24/7. Bus fare is ~₱155 /head (one-way). Inform the driver to drop you off at the main Whale Shark activity site.
BY CAR: Road trips are fun, especially if you’re going south. Make sure to navigate via Waze or Google Maps and set your destination to “Oslob Whale Shark Watching”.
Sumilon Sandbar (Day Tour)
Sumilon Island is popular as a small sandbar island perfect for that exclusive beach escapade, very far away from the bustling and stress brought by the city life. With pristine white sand and crystal-clear blue water, the island has been a favorite spot for tourists both local and international.
- Sumilon Island Boat Transfer Fee – P1,500 per boat
- Environmental Fee – P50
- Sumilon Island Day-Pass – $30 or P1,440 based on Klook
- Link to Purchasse Bluewater Sumilon Day Pass: Online booking
HOW TO GET THERE:
Exact Location: Sumilon Island, Oslob, Southern Cebu — approx. 3-4 hours away from the city.
BY BUS: From the South Bus Terminal (near Emall), ride a Ceres bus going to “Bluewater Sumilon Island Resort”. All buses bound for Oslob operate 24/7. Bus fare is ~P155 /head (one-way). Inform the driver to drop you off at the main Whale Shark activity site or to the resort you’re heading.
BY CAR: Road trips are fun, especially if you’re going south. Make sure to navigate via Waze or Google Maps and set your destination to “Bluewater Sumilon Island Resort”.