Cebu has lost a broadcasting media icon.
Cebu’s very own tri-media personality Bobby Nalzaro also admiringly called as “Super Bob” died on Thursday, March 17, 2022, at 58 years old.
He was one of the gems of broadcasting as a journalist, radio commentator, columnist, and news anchor all at the same time. He was working on all these before his passing caused by multiple organ failures:
- Anchor of GMA Regional TV’s Balitang Bisdak
- Radio GMA Cebu’s station manager
- Host of Super Radyo dySS-AM (daily commentary program)
- Columnist for SunStar Cebu and Superbalita
Bobby Nalzaro was born as Pablito Galeza Nalzaro in Dipolog City, Zamboanga del Norte, on August 11, 1963 and started in radio at the age of 16.
Professional Career Timeline
- 1980- anchor/reporter of Radio DXRZ (UMBN/RMN) in Zamboanga City
- studying Bachelor in Mass Communication at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University.
- reporter of Zamboanga Express (local newspaper)
- 1987- transferred to Cebu and joined DYMF Bombo Radyo Cebu for ten years until he became the acting Station Manager
- 1997- resigned from Bombo Radyo and joined GMA 7/RGMA Cebu
- 1999- became TV news anchor for Balitang Bisdak
- 2011- regional anchor for Balita Pilipinas Primetime on GMA News TV
- 2019- filed for 4 counts of libel by Ramon Miguel Osmeña, son of former Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña. (in connection with two articles Nalzaro published for SunStar and Superbalita Cebu)
- 2022- program director and chief operations officer of Super Radyo DYSS 999 Cebu of RGMA Network, Inc.,
- served as Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP) Cebu chapter chairman and KBP regional coordinator.
Bobby Nalzaro was one tough broadcaster as he didn’t hold his punches in his commentaries. A trait that earned him enemies left and right. Unafraid and bold he embodied a true broadcasting media personality which gained him followers and admirers too.
“by providing the public with accurate information for seeking the truth; for giving justice to the oppressed and victims of abuses; for helping the needy and exposing graft and corruption, illegal activities and anomalies in government and the private sector.”– BOBBY NALZARO
- KBP national award for Best Public Affairs Program Host for Radio (2004)
- Garbo Sa Sugbo Awardee by Cebu Provincial Government
- Achiever’s Award in Mass Media by the Zamboanga del Norte Provincial Government
- 23 of Cebu’s Most Influential People (2005) by SunStar Cebu
His media career spanned over 40 years, Nalzaro was an inspiration and a constant in the media world which ensures that he will be missed indeed.