It’s a long time coming but it’s here now. That wish of keeping our phone number regardless of what network we switch to is now available for all Filipinos.
It definitely lessens the hassle of memorizing our new numbers time and time again. Having a permanent number also helps our contacts since some of them only have that old number you have.
This practice which is now available in the Philippines is called Mobile number portability (MNP). It is a global practice that allows a mobile phone customer to keep their number regardless of what networks they switch to.
“We do expect to experience some inconveniences as we start offering the service, but we are confident that with the continued cooperation and hard work of our three partner telcos, we can say that finally, forever is here,” – Melanie Manuel, Telecommunications Connectivity Incorporated (TCI) general manager
TCI is the consortium of Globe, Smart, and DITO.
The act of switching or moving a phone number to another provider is called porting and it is free of charge.
Step by step process of Porting:
- Checking of eligibility.
- Users must not have an outstanding balance and should not be blacklisted by the network. The number must not be locked to a service provider as well.
- Getting a unique subscriber code (USC)
- This code will be from your/their home network.
- Filling up the application form
- This form will be from the network they want to switch into. Subscribers will also need a government-issued ID and proof of ownership of the mobile number.
- Waiting for the new SIM.
Must-know info in porting on different Mobile networks
As the newest and hot network today, for those interested to join the DITO, subscribers may visit any of its physical stores or download its app.
To be able to switch into Smart, subscribers will have to answer this form.
For those who want to leave Globe: subscribers can text “USC” to 5050
For those who want to move to Globe: users will have to check their eligibility first through this link.
Internal porting is the term used when moving only within your mother network.
It is allowed for Globe and Smart and its affiliate networks like:
- moving from Globe to TM
- moving from Smart to TNT or Sun
- Switching from postpaid to prepaid or vice versa
Globe: Done through Globe stores or via the GlobeOne app
Smart: Users can book an appointment online
TCI is now expecting to have at least 1 million subscribers who will make the switch. The question is, will you be one of them?