The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board Central Visayas (LTFRB 7) have announced three consecutive launchings of PUJ’s under the PUV Modernization Program (PUVMP).
Commuters in Consolacion and Liloan, to and from can now breathe a sigh of relief as 15 modern public utility jeepneys (PUJ) were launched in the two municipalities last week. This, in addition to the 26 PUJ’s launched in Lapu-Lapu City, will make a total of 40 PUJ’s that would ply these two adjacent towns.
The PUVMP program began years ago in mid-2017 but was delayed due to the arrival of covid-19. This program aims to:
- provide a modern, environment-friendly, more comfortable and safe public transport system
- phase out traditional jeepneys, buses and other public vehicles (15 years old and above)
- encourage small transport industry players to merge to form cooperatives/corporations
- devolve route planning to Local Government Units (LGU)
- provide a government subsidy and loan program to help transport operators on the funding of the modern PUJ’s
Lapu-Lapu to Consolacion & Liloan routes
This first launching was done last Nov. 18 by the Cebu Mepza Liloan Drivers and Operators Cooperative in Lapu-Lapu City.
- No. of PUJ’s launched: 26
Consolacion-Cebu City route
Launching of modern PUJs by Consolacion Transport Corp at JM Compound, Mandaue City was done last Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021.
- No. of PUJ’s launched: 10 modern PUJs
Liloan-Cebu City route
On the same day, Dec 1, the Liloan Operators Multi-purpose Cooperative or Lodtramco launched modern PUJ’s at the new Liloan Public Market.
- No. of PUJ’s launched: 5
These routes are the most hectic as there is a large number of workers from Consolacion and Liloan in MEPZ, LLC and Cebu City so having these many modern jeeps will hopefully help ease the transportation difficulties of commuters.