Are you ready for a better and bolder Cebu?
The impressive economic growth that Cebu has shown over the past few years can’t only just be attributed to the massive property and urban development initiatives made by private companies in the metro. It’s also a direct impact of the great government projects that have helped ease the lives of every Cebuanos.
But the trend of progress isn’t coming to a halt yet; it won’t. With the on-going projects that are soon to take forms in Cebu, we are bound to soar towards greater heights. These are projects that are part of the Build! Build! Build! Program of the national government.
The Build! Build! Build! (BBB) Program is the centerpiece program of the Duterte administration that aims to usher the “golden age of infrastructure” in the Philippines. Lack of infrastructure has long been cited as the “Achilles’ heel” of Philippine economic development. Hence, it seeks to accelerate public infrastructure expenditure and address the huge infrastructure backlog in the country.
Check out these four (4) mega infrastructure projects in Cebu that Cebuanos should be excited for.
1. METRO CEBU EXPRESSWAY
This project is a 73.75 km stretch of highway with 2 km tunnel. Pegged at P28.1B for its cost, Metro Cebu Expressway is aimed to meet Metro Cebu’s existing and future traffic demand, significantly addressing the traffic congestion within the metro especially its urban core and Central Business Districts.
The project will serve as another north-south backbone highway providing a seamless traffic flow from Naga City up to Danao City. It will traverse along the slopes of the mountain range of Cebu Province. Also, the project is divided into three segments: Talisay-Cebu City-Mandaue (Segment 1), Consolacion-Liloan-Compostela-Danao (Segment 2), and Naga-Minglanilla (Segment 3).
It is to be noted that Segment 3 is funded by the national government through the Department of Public Works and Highways especially in acquisitions of lots and structures for road right-of-way, while segments 1 and 2 will be financed through foreign funding, according to Neda 7 Director Efren Carreon.
Target completion date of this project is 2022.
- An online market sounding activity was conducted last November 23, 2020.
- The preparation of pre-FS report by JICA consultant as part of updating of the HSH Masterplan Phase 2 is ongoing. Submission of draft final report to DPWH is targeted by JICA by the end of January 2021.
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID) will undertake capacity building activities for the DPWH, including preparation of the pertinent documents /analysis for the development and packaging of the Project.
- Ongoing implementation of Segment 3
- For business case/ feasibility study
2. CEBU BUS RAPID TRANSIT
The Cebu Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system is a component of the planned Integrated Intermodal Transportation System (IITS) in the province of Cebu. It has an objective to improve the over-all performance of the urban passenger transport system in Cebu City in terms of the quality and level of service, safety, and environmental efficiency.
Estimated at P16.3 B for the cost, this project is funded by the World Bank and Agence Francaise de Development and its project implementation is spearheaded by the DOTr and NEDA.
The Department of Transportation (DOTr) has promised the Cebu City Council that the implementation of the the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system in the city will start on 2021. Target completion date for phase 1 (SRP to Capitol route) is first quarter of 2022.
- There was a realignment of the BRT route to include SRP. From the original plan with routes which should have begun at Barangay Bulacao, the BRT line will now begin at the corner of F. Vestil Street and the South Road Property (SRP) road where the depot of the buses will be located.
- Currently, package 1 of the Cebu BRT which covers a 2.6-kilometer busway, with 4 stations, is now in the procurement stage.
- There are challenges that lie in the Right of Way (ROW) acquisition especially that the major thoroughfares are near commercial properties and many owners are hesitant to let go of the property.
3. CEBU-MACTAN BRIDGE AND COASTAL ROAD
This 4th Cebu-Mactan Bridge and Coastal Road Project aims to improve the capacity of the existing road network in Cebu and facilitate faster movement of trade, people, and convenience in Metro Cebu.
The entire project for the bridge and the coastal road will cost around P79.5 billion and it has 119.2 billion Yen (P55.8 billion) of the loan set aside for it with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) as its lead agency.
The project involves the construction of a 3.3-km bridge with an elevated viaduct of 3.385-km, with two lanes in each direction. It also includes the construction of a 4.9-km four-lane coastal road with a 4.751-km elevated viaduct. Interchanges will be constructed at the linkage between the two projects in Mandaue City.
Its target completion date is January 2028.
- Its feasibility study was approved by the NEDA board last 2019.
4. NEW CEBU INTERNATIONAL CONTAINER PORT
The New Cebu International Container Port (NCICP) is a P10.1-billion project that will cover 25 hectares of reclaimed land in Consolacion, Cebu. It is aimed to free up the existing seaport in the province and provide a more efficient and reliable transport infrastructure for the unimpeded flow of goods and services in the Visayas.
This multi-billion project will include the following:
- a 500-meter quay wall length that can simultaneously accommodate two 2,000 TEU (Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit) vessels
- operating facilities and structures for containers such as a freight station and inspection shed
- an access road and bridge
- and a dredged waterway and turning basin
The new container port is seen as a long-term solution for the already congested current Cebu International Port. Once done, the latter will be converted into a domestic port while the former will cater to international cargoes coming in and out of Cebu.
- The consultancy works on the port project and the procurement for civil works have commenced last year.
☞ Up to 50% OFF on nearby hotels in Cebu.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The rates, contact details and other information indicated in this post are accurate from the time of writing but may change without Sugbo.ph's notice. Should you know the updated information, please message us on Facebook.