Due to the alarming rise of the number of COVID-19 cases, the entire island of Cebu — Cebu City, Cebu Province, Lapu-Lapu City, and Mandaue City — will be placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) starting August 1 to 15, 2021.
As it has been a while that Cebu is placed under MGCQ, we might need to familiarize ourselves with a lot of restrictions again.
With Cebu City Acting Mayor Rama and other city officials still set to release an Executive Order (EO) on the MECQ anytime soon, the national government via the IATF has cited the May 2021 guidelines to give us a heads up on the upcoming changes.
- Only authorized persons outside of residence are exempted from the curfew and we will probably have uniform curfew hours as all of Cebu is under one quarantine restriction. Cebu city currently has the curfew 10pm-4am
- Our room for movement will be greatly decreased as strict home quarantine shall be observed by everyone. Travel should only be for accessing essential goods and services, and for work in permitted establishments.
- Persons under 18 years old and above 65 years old, those with comorbidities, pregnant women and those with immunodeficiencies is expected to always stay at home except for obtaining essential goods and services or for work.
- There will be no mass and social gathering even those inside the house that involve multiple households converging in one.
- Religious gatherings are only up to 10 to 30 percent capacity
- Wakes and burials can only be attended by the immediate family
- Open-air restaurants are only for dine-in customers, or just take-out while alfresco dining is permitted up to 50 percent capacity.
- Fully operational with a skeleton workforce. This is with the exceptions of essential for the provision of health services, government services, and government services.
Road, rail, maritime, and aviation sectors of public transportation at such capacity and protocols in accordance with guidelines issued by the Department of Transportation (DOTr)
This means that public transport such as jeepneys, buses, taxis, and others are still allowed to operate subject to a 50 percent maximum capacity or depending on the DOTr.
Public transportation will remain limited to authorized persons outside of residence during the imposition of MECQ.
Allowed under general area of their residence. Individual outdoor exercises while wearing face masks are allowed within the barangay or village.
Businesses allowed to operate (at half capacity)
- Media establishments
- Dental, rehabilitation, optometry and other medical clinics
- Veterinary clinics
- Banks, pawnshops, money transfer services & capital markets
- Water supply, janitorial/sanitation services & energy sector
- Telecommunication companies, internet service provider & cable television provider
- Airline and aircraft maintenance & aviation schools
- Shipyard operations
- Lotteries will be open with limited capacity
- Hotels or accommodation establishments are allowed to have guests and clients for legitimate purposes under a state of public health emergency.
Prohibited from operating
- Entertainment venues such as theaters;
- Recreational activities such as internet cafes and arcades
- Amusement parks & indoor and outdoor sports courts
- Gyms, spas, and swimming pools;
- Outdoor tourist attractions
- Indoor tourist attractions such as libraries and museums
Border restrictions and access will be primarily for the purpose of checking that there will be no people under 18 years old and above 60 years old going out.
This decision to tighten quarantine restrictions was not made lightly, let us all follow the guidelines and remain safe and healthy for ourselves and for everyone else. Let us all help out by staying at home as much as possible.