Bojo, Aloguinsan in Cebu is recognized as one of the BEST TOURISM VILLAGES award in the recent 24th United Nations World Tourism Organization’s General Assembly in Madrid, Spain. The award was announced via YouTube live.
Former Cebu Provincial Tourism Officer and Tourism advocate Boboi Costas shared the news earlier tonight on his Facebook post. He shared “Win or lose, it’s an honor for the men and women of Bojo, Aloguinsan who have surmounted the challenges of rural tourism especially in the time of pandemic and whose courage to persevere became their inspiration on their journey to sustainability.”
Aloguinsan is home to the famous Bojo River tour, also known as the Aloguinsan River Eco-Cultural Tour – an educational adventure ride on the river with local fishermen interpreting the local history, the flora, and the fauna of the river ecosystem.
On the UNWTO Official website, the Best Tourism Villages by UNWTO initiative recognizes those villages committed to making tourism a strong driver of their development and wellbeing.
A total of 44 villages from 32 countries across the five world regions were granted the recognition in 2021. All of them stand out for their natural and cultural resources as well as for their innovative and transformative actions and commitment to the development of tourism in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The villages were evaluated by an independent Advisory Board based on a set of criteria covering nine areas:
- Cultural and Natural Resources
- Promotion and Conservation of Cultural Resources
- Economic Sustainability
- Social Sustainability
- Environmental Sustainability
- Tourism Potential and Development and Value Chain Integration
- Governance and Prioritization of Tourism
- Infrastructure and Connectivity
- Health, Safety and Security
All of the 44 chosen villages scored a total of 80 or more points or more out of a possible 100.
List of Best Tourism Villages by UNWTO 2021:
- Bekhovo, Russian Federation
- Bkassine, Lebanon
- Bojo, Philippineshe
- Caspalá, Argentina
- Castelo Rodrigo, Portugal
- Cuetzalan del Progreso, Mexico
- Cumeada, Portugal
- Gruyères, Switzerland
- Batu Puteh , Malaysia
- Kaunertal, Austria
- Le Morne, Mauritius
- Lekunberri, Spain
- Maní, Mexico
- Misfat Al Abriyeen, Oman
- Miyama, Japan
- Mokra Gora, Serbia
- Morella, Spain
- Mustafapaşa, Turkey
- Nglanggeran, Indonesia
- Niseko, Japan
- Nkotsi Village, Rwanda
- Old Grand Port, Mauritius
- Olergesailie, Kenya
- Ollantaytambo, Peru
- Pano Lefkara, Cyprus
- Pica, Chile
- Pochampally, India
- Puerto Williams, Chile
- Radovljica, Slovenia
- Rijal Alma’a, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Testo Alto, Brazil
- Saas Fee, Switzerland
- San Cosme y Damián, Paraguay
- San Ginesio, Italy
- Sidi Kaouki, Morocco
- Solčava, Slovenia
- Soufli, Greece
- Taraklı, Turkey
- The Purple Island, Republic of Korea
- Ungok Village, Republic of Korea
- Valposchiavo, Switzerland
- Wonchi, Ethiopia
- Xidi, China
- Yucun, China
Experience Bojo River Cruise
Bojo River is Aloguinsan’s crown jewel and has thus far been named one of the Top 100 Sustainable Destinations in the World on the occasion of World Tourism Day 2016 and Best Community-based Tourism at the ASEAN Toursim Awards 2017.
The Bojo River tour, also known as the Aloguinsan River Eco-Cultural Tour, is highlighted by a ride on the river with local fishermen interpreting the local history, the flora and the fauna of the river ecosystem.
- ₱650 per person – Inclusive of tour, lunch, snacks at the Farmhouse, and complementary goodies. Based on advance booking (at least 2 days), minimum of 5pax.
- STUDENT PACKAGE: ₱850 per head for a minimum of five persons. This includes a welcome lei, welcome drinks, lunch at The Farmhouse, snacks along the Bojo River, handicraft demo, river cruise, swimming, and a tour of heritage sites such as the baluarte (heritage park), old stone church, and parola.
- Online booking: https://discover.cebu.gov.ph/tour/bojo-river-eco-cultural-tour/
- What time to go there? Better to arrive as early as 8AM.
- Opening hours: 8AM to 5PM
- Contact numbers: (032) 469-9042 / 0933 120 9480 / 0997 371 5698
- Email: [email protected]
- Social: Facebook Page
HOW TO GET THERE?
Exact location: Aloguinsan, Southern Cebu — approx. 2 hours away from Cebu City.
From the South Bus Terminal in N. Bacalso Ave., ride a minibus going to bound for Pinamungajan. Ask the conductor to drop you in front of The Farmhouse in Aloguinsan. Bus fare is ₱80 and travel time is 2 to 3 hours.
Another option is to take a Toledo-bound bus and transfer to a minibus or jeepney to Aloguinsan.
If you’re bringing your own vehicle, just navigate with Waze and search for “Bojo River Aloguinsan”. There’s a parking space available in the area.https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d1070.5227298807158!2d123.54563256726307!3d10.205443463882473!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x33a9643e816935ed%3A0x3ab2df5c573ed980!2sBojo+River+Cruise!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sph!4v1525598910488