One water sport that is steadily gaining popularity now is freediving. It’s slowly taking over the gram and our feed. So what exactly is freediving?
Freediving is a water sport that uses a person’s ability to dive and explore the underwater world using a single breath without the use of a breathing apparatus. Instead, it relies solely on the use of proper breathing and equalization techniques that will allow the diver to safely go deeper over time.
Diving in vibrant coral forests like those in Moalboal, Alegria, Santander, and Mactan will give you a different kind of peace and escape. I know, it’s quite tempting to head on to the beach now and dive but the proper and safe way to doing this would be to enroll in an introductory class on freediving.
Bohé Freediving 101 Class
“I always tell my students to focus on getting the technique right first; Depth will always follow,” – Jojo Tajanlangit II, Bohé Founder and Head Freediving Instructor
Bohé which means water in “Badjao” language is a homegrown freediving brand that emphasizes safety above all else. Beginners must invest in a proper Freediving 101 class especially if you’re planning to dive to depths under -10 meters.
This water activity is not without its dangers. Without proper training or if you’re simply relying on “Youtube University” to learn, a diver can succumb to blackouts or loss of motor control reflex (LMC) , while in water.
Bohé creates a safe and controlled environment that focuses on proper freediving technique above all else.
- 1.5-hour lecture
- Freediving introduction
- Breathing techniques
- Equalization techniques
- Freediving gears
- Safety signals
- Two-hour open water regulated line dive
- Apply and understand the basic physiology and techniques of freediving
- Feet first and Head first line dives
Note: Advanced courses and training sessions available for those who want to go deeper, or compete.
Dive with a Tribe
“Safety in community.”
Bohé has also established a Freediving Community that can assist those interested in freediving into the sport easily as well. In the community, you can connect with previous Bohé students, discuss technique and challenges, trade gear, and schedule fun dives.
Finding and joining a freediving community is essential in ensuring your personal safety. Diving with a buddy or buddies ensure that you have someone who can potentially rescue you during water emergencies.
Bohé Freediving offers custom gear, weekend freediving classes in Mactan, and certification courses for those curious about or deeply interested in freediving.
RATES & OTHER INFORMATION
- Regular Rate: P2,000 per person
- February 2021 Promo Rate: (15% discount): P1,700 per person, minimum of 4 persons (rate includes BOHE active dry shirt)
- Contact number: 0917-330-2301 (Joselito Tajanlangit II)
- Email address: [email protected]
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/bohe.life
HOW TO GET THERE?
Exact location: Kontiki Beach, Maribago, Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu — approx. 45-60 minutes away from Cebu City.
BY CAR: Just navigate with Waze or Google Maps and search for “Kontiki Marina” in Lapu-Lapu City. Parking space is available.
– From SM City, ride a 01K jeep (across APM Mall or near Sun Gold) going to Parkmall. Or ride 01K jeep from Emall.
– From Parkmall, ride a jeep heading to MEPZ 1. From there, ride another jeepney going to Soong/Maribago. Drop off near Bluewater Maribago Resort where you can find tricycles. From there, ride a tricycle that will bring you to Kontiki Dive.
*There are also jeepneys going to Soong from Mandaue City highway at Caltex, across San Miguel.
*You can also ride a v-hire from Ayala Center Cebu or SM City Cebu going to Mactan Cebu.
☞ Up to 50% OFF on nearby hotels in Cebu.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The rates, contact details and other information indicated in this post are accurate from the time of writing but may change without Sugbo.ph's notice. Should you know the updated information, please message us on Facebook.