Now we are finally treated with the second trailer of probably the most awaited MCU film of 2021, diehard fans are still left with many questions regarding No Way Home’s multiverse madness. And one of the questions asked – who is the sixth member of the iconic Sinister Six?
From the latest No Way Home trailer, five villains so far have appeared – Doc Ock, Electro, Green Goblin, Sandman and Lizard. The common thing about these super villains, aside from the fact that all appeared in previous Spiderman villains (some outside the MCU) is that they are all members of the Sinister Six – a legion of villains with the goal of eliminating Spiderman at all costs.
In the comics, the roster of the infamous Sinister Six constantly changes, with iconic Spiderman villains taking place one after another. Four of the five mentioned villains are the founding members of the original Sinister Six (Lizard is not one of the founding members) But in the context of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, we can only guess those who have made appearances so far or have made hints to appear in future MCU films.
- Vulture – one of the most obvious choices would be Vulture, who first appeared in 2017’s Spiderman: Homecoming played by Michael Keaton. His last appearance from that film was from a post-credit scene, where he is already jailed and comes across an inmate who said that he, too, was wronged by Spiderman. Moreover, the inmate, who was assumed to be Scorpion from the comics, implores that if Vulture knew Spiderman, which he denied.
- Mysterio – unlike Vulture, Mysterio was a snitch who at by the end of the previous MCU Spiderman film, he revealed Spiderman’s identity as Peter Parker. This ultimately led to the plot of No Way Home’s overall plot come in motion, as obviously this has irked Peter so much that he asked Dr. Strange’s help. And even though the villain’s death was confirmed not an illusion, Mysterio, being the sixth member of the infamous group can be very likely too being him a charlatan with many tricks up his sleeve.
- Venom – Tom Hardy impressed us with his portrayal of Venom as an anti-hero, not necessarily a villain, in the Spiderman universe yet it is still very possible that he will be battling Spiderman himself in future films. In the latest Venom: Let There Be Carnage post-credit scene, we can finally see that Sony’s take in Venom finally collides with MCU’s Spiderman where in a brief moment, sees Spiderman exposed as Peter Parker highly interests the symbiote. It is also worth mentioning that the symbiote mentioned about ‘Hive’, where the possibility of other symbiotes in the multiverse could exist. In 2007’s Spiderman 3, Tobey Maguire’s Spiderman defeated the said symbiote so it is very likely that the Venom we see today could be taking action about that.
- Scorpion – mentioning the post-credit scene in Spiderman: Homecoming, it was not explained how his character was ‘wronged’ by Spiderman but that only makes us guess that he wants to seek revenge against our friendly neighbor.
- Morbius – although not much yet known with Jared Leto’s upcoming take as Morbius, we already know for sure from the trailers that the film’s approach would be very like the same with Tom Hardy’s Venom; an origin story for another iconic anti-hero. Morbius, like in the comics, is a doctor with a rare blood disease which leads him to find a cure only to afflicted with a form of vampirism. Whether he would clash against Spiderman and ultimately become the sixth member, it’s for us to find out yet very soon.
- Rhino – among this list, this villain may be the least likely as this is the only character with the least screen time in any Spiderman films. Though his lack of screen time in the past films could mean that the iconic Rhino will be finally getting the big-screen treatment as part of the Sinister Six.
- Kraven the Hunter – although still in development, a standalone film about Kraven, the Hunter will soon be released in January 2023, with Aaron Taylor-Johnston confirmed to portray the character. Additionally, Jon Watts, the director of the first two MCU Spiderman movies mentioned that he wants to use Kraven or at least introduce the character in the upcoming No Way Home. For those who don’t know, Kraven the Hunter is one of Spiderman’s iconic villains in the comics where he was this big-game hunter and wants to best Spiderman in order to prove himself as the world’s best hunter. He is also one of the founding members of the original Sinister Six.
We can only conclude who will be the sixth member as soon as No Way Home hits the big screen, where it is set to be released in January 2023 in Philippine cinemas. Who do you think will be the sixth member of the Sinister Six?