Voters registration in the Philippines has officially started January this year and everyone is invited to exercise their right to suffrage come May 2022 national elections.
Here’s a general quick guide on how you can register as a voter in Cebu for the coming elections.
Like any other government application/registration processes, voter registration will also ask you to fill-out forms and submit photocopies of your valid IDs. To keep yourself away from unnecessary risk of contracting COVID-19 and to ensure smooth visit to your local Commission on Elections (Comelec) office, it’s best to prepare all of these at least a week before your appointment.
Step 1: Check Eligibility Requirements
You must be a:
- Filipino citizen
- At least 18 years old on or before Election Day (May 9, 2022)
- A resident of the Philippines for at least one year and a resident of the place in which you intend to vote for at least 6 months
Step 2: Book an appointment.
Most local government units require registrants to secure an appointment first before heading to their registration offices.
You can visit this link so you can get the updated list of the Cebu cities/municipalities local COMELEC official FB Pages for Online Application:
Step 3: Fill-out and print necessary forms at home.
All applicants are encouraged to download the forms and manually fill them out before going to the registration offices. However, the signature and thumbprints must only be affixed before an Election Officer at the COMELEC Office. Use legal-size paper (8.5” x 13”) when printing out the application forms.
- CEF-1: https://www.comelec.gov.ph/php-tpls-attachments/VoterRegistration/ApplicationsForms/CEF1_Revised.pdf
- Coronavirus Self Declaration Form: https://www.comelec.gov.ph/php-tpls-attachments/References/Announcements/COVIDDECLARATIONFORM.pdf
- Supplementary data form for persons with disabilities (PWDs) and indigenous peoples: https://www.comelec.gov.ph/php-tpls-attachments/VoterRegistration/ApplicationsForms/Annex_B_SupplementaryData.pdf
Step 4: Photocopy your valid ID.
Prepare a photocopy of at least one (1) of the following valid IDs:
- Employee’s identification card (ID), with the signature of the employer or authorized representative
- Postal ID
- PWD Discount ID
- Student’s ID or library card, signed by the school authority
- Senior Citizen’s ID
- Driver’s license
- NBI clearance
- SSS/GSIS ID
- Integrated Bar of the Philippine (IBP) ID
- License issued by the Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC)
- Certificate of Confirmation issued by the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) in case of members of ICCs or IPs
- Any other valid ID
Step 5: Register!
Great! Now you’re ready to brave the registration. Be sure to bring the following:
- Accomplished forms
- Valid ID and photocopy of ID
- Own ball pen
- Face mask and face shield
- Alcohol or hand sanitizer
- Water (to stay hydrated)
While procedures may vary per city and municipality, here’s what you should expect during the COMELEC visit.
- Contact Tracing
- Since you already have filled out the application form, you will just have to wait while in a queue somewhere in the office.
- Application review and signature
- Your application will be reviewed by an electoral officer. Any errors in the form will also be indicated. The officer will ask you to sign the form in front of him/her.
- Logging application into the system
- The application will be digitized and entered into the Election Registration Board’s (ERB) system.
- Biometrics capturing
- Have your photo taken and leave your digital signature and fingerprints.
- Stub collection
- After completing the whole process, a Comelec personnel will detach, date, and stamp your acknowledgment receipt.
We only have a little less than a year to register for the next presidential elections. Let’s start nation-building by exercising the right to vote. Make it count!
- Voter Registration End Date: September 30, 2021
- Election Date: May 9, 2022
- COMELEC Cebu Province Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/comelecopescebu/
- COMELEC Cebu Province Address: 2nd Flr., Legislative bldg., Capitol Compound, Cebu City 6000
- COMELEC website: www.comelec.gov.ph/