We are undeniably a nation of fun-loving spirits which resulted to the birth of many popular festivals. These festivals are characterized by a lot of feasting, merriment, dancing, loud music, grand and colorful parades, which is why tourists flock the country. One of these is the most famous ‘Sinulog’ festival in Cebu.
A week-long celebration that ends with a spectacle that is the Sinulog Grand Parade, which has a theme this year of, “One Beat, One Dance, For the World.”
So what should we expect? Relax for we are going to walk you through it and add some of the tips for you to enjoy the “mardi gras” to the fullest.
Around 8 to 9 in the morning is the start of the street dance and Sinulog dance competition, a colorful parade, which bears a resemblance to the festival in Rio, Brazil. It shows the creativity of Filipinos through their dance steps, chants, intricately made costumes, music, and props.
Contingents do not necessarily come from Cebu City, several groups are from other parts of the country who wish to offer their performances to Snr. Sto. Niño.
There will be a collection of massive and beautiful floats that will be present in the parade, each from different big companies and vying for the best and most creative float.
There will be celebrities present and should be expected to grace the Grand parade riding on their own floats.
Celebrities expected to come for Sinulog 2020 grand parade to name a few are:
- Dimples Romana, Beauty Gonzales, Andrea Brillantes, Francine Diaz (Kadenang Ginto)
- Dingdong Dantes, Jennylyn Mercado, Rocco Nacino (DOTS)
- Mango Avenue
- also known as General Maxilom Avenue. This long street will definitely grant you a clear view of the grand parade, and is also known to be the spot where the dancers usually perform their street dance
- Around Fuente Osmeña Circle
- The famous circle where everyone and everything takes a turn. Everything and everyone passes here so you won’t miss a thing. Also known to be the best place to spot the celebrities.
- Cebu City Sports Center (also known as Abellana National High School grounds)
- If you wish to watch at the grand stadium, there’s an entrance fee of P1,000, P2,000, and P2,500. The higher the price, the closer the seat. Payments could be made through partner banks. Make sure to have your tickets signed for validity.
January 19, 2020 Fireworks
SM City Cebu
- What: Spectacular Fireworks Show at SM City Cebu
- When: January 19, 2020 (Sunday) at 7:00PM
- Where: SM City Cebu – Open Parking near the North Wing
- No Admission Fee / No Reserved Seat
SM Seaside City Cebu
- What: SM Seaside’s PyroMagic Fireworks & Drone Light Show featuring PowerSpoonz
- When: January 19, 2020 (Sunday) at 8:00PM
- Where: Sky Park – Ampitheater 1, SM Seaside City Cebu
- No Admission Fee / No Reserved Seats
Ayala Center Cebu
- What: Festival of Lights – Grand Fireworks Display
- When: January 19, 2020 (Sunday) at 9:00PM
- Where: Cebu Business Park – Ayala Center Cebu
- No Admission Fee / No Reserved Seats
January 19, 2020 Schedule of Activities
- 4AM – Mananita Mass at Basilica Minore del Santo Nino
- 6AM – Misa Pontifical De La “Fiesta Senor”
- 7:30AM – Holy Mass at Cebu City Sports Center
- 9AM – Sinulog 2020 Grand Parade Kick-off
- 6PM – Globe and TM Republicaravan with Parokya ni Edgar at Plaza Independencia
- 6PM – Globe Puso Sinulog Event with Sponge Cola at Ayala Center Cebu
- 7PM – Grand Finale at Cebu City Sports Center
- 8PM – SM Seaside’s PyroMagic Fireworks & Drone Light Show featuring PowerSpoonz
- 8PM – Culutral Show at Plaza Independencia
- 9PM – Pyrospectacular Show at SM City Cebu
- 9PM – Festival of Lights – Grand Fireworks Display at Ayala Center Cebu
- January 20, 2020 – Sinulog 2020 Awarding of Winners (Ticket: ₱150)
Aside from the grand parade, make sure to complete your Sinulog experience with street parties, exhibits, street fairs, and indulge yourself in local and other delicacies. And to officially end the celebration, watch the beautiful fireworks display in the evening. Pit Senyor!!!