There are a lot of scholarships being offered; both private and public. However, one that has stood out is the scholarship being offered by the Philippine government through the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).
If you are one of the many interested applicants, you need to know and consider your courses and university.
Enlisted below is the list of DOST-accredited schools in Cebu for A.Y. 2020-2021.
- CEBU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS
- CEBU NORMAL UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF SAN JOSE – RECOLETOS
- CEBU INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES
- UNIVERSITY OF CEBU – LAPU-LAPU & MANDAUE
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN PHILIPPINES FOUNDATION (LAHUG CAMPUS)
- UNIVERSITY OF VISAYAS (MAIN CAMPUS)
Types of Scholarships
- RA 7687
- Republic Act No. 7687, also known as the “Science and Technology Scholarship Act of 1994”, provides for scholarships to talented and deserving students whose families’ socio-economic status do not exceed the set cut-off values of certain indicators. Qualifiers must pursue priority fields of study in the basic sciences, engineering, other applied sciences, and science and mathematics teaching.
- The DOST-SEI Merit Scholarship Program, formerly known as the NSDB or NSTA Scholarship under RA No. 2067, is awarded to students with high aptitude in science and mathematics and are willing to pursue careers in the fields of science and technology.
|A. Regular Academic Year|
|Tuition and other school fees||₱40,000.00 / year|
|Book Allowance||₱10,000.00 / year|
|Group Health and Accident Insurance||Premium|
|Transportation Allowance (for those studying outside of home province)||1 economy-class roundtrip fare|
|Monthly Living Allowance||₱7,000.00 / month|
|Graduation Clothing Allowance||₱1,000.00|
|B. Summer Allowance (if required in the curriculum)|
|Tuition and other school fees||₱1,500.00|
|Book Allowance||₱500.00 (to submit Official Receipt)|
|Monthly Living Allowance||₱7,000.00 / month for two months|
|1. natural-born Filipino citizen;||✓||✓|
|2. poor, talented and deserving student who belongs to a family whose socio-economic status does not exceed the set values of certain indicators;||✓||✗|
|3. a. member of the top five percent (5%) of the Non-STEM strand senior high school graduating class;|
b. member of the STEM strand senior high school graduating class;
|4. resident of the municipality as attested by the barangay;||✓||✓|
|5. of good moral character and in good health;||✓||✓|
|6. do not have any post-secondary or undergraduate units||✓||✓|
|7. a. Have not taken any previous DOST-SEI examination; or b. Have taken the DOST-SEI Undergraduate Examination but did not qualify for the scholarship; or c. Qualifier of the DOST-SEI Undergraduate Scholarship but did not avail of the award;||✓||✓|
|8. qualifier of the S&T Scholarship Examination||✓||✓|
Forms A to G are available in the Application Form/System
|Items to be Submitted||RA 7687||Merit|
|1. Personal Information (Form A)||✓||✓|
|2. Household Information Questionnaire (Form B)||✓||✓|
|3. Certificate of Good Moral Character (Form C)||✓||✓|
|4. Certificate of Good Health (Form D)||✓||✓|
|5. Principal’s Certification (Form E1 or E2)||✓||✓|
|– Form E1- applicant belongs to the senior high school STEM strand class|
|– Form E2-applicant belongs to the upper 5% of the NON-STEM strand senior high school graduating class|
|7. Certificate of Residency (Form F)||✓||✓|
|8. Parent’s Certification(Form G)||✓||✓|
|9. Applicant’s Certification (Form H)||✓||✓|
|10. Signed Declaration by applicant and the Parent/Legal Guardian (Form I)||✓||✓|
|11. Recent (1”x1”) picture||✓||✓|
|12. Photocopy of Birth Certificate||✓||✓|
|13. Parent/s 2019 Income Tax Return / W2 / Employment Contract for OFW / BIR Cert. of Exemption from Filing of ITR / Brgy. Cert. of Indigency||✓||✓|
How to apply?
- Deadline for Filing of Application: August 28, 2020
- Schedule of examination: October 25, 2020
- E-Scholarship Application System
- Contact Information of DOST Regional Offices and Provincial S&T Centers
For more information, you can visit their website at http://www.sei.dost.gov.ph or call them at DOST VII- Scholarship Unit at (032) 418-9055.