President Rodrigo Duterte approved on Wednesday the recommendation of the Inter-agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) and Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to extend the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) over Cebu City until July 15, 2020 due to the continued rise of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.
Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue City, Talisay City, Consolacion, and Minglanilla are still placed under general community quarantine (GCQ) while the rest of the Cebu Province will be under the less stricter modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
- Cebu City – Enhanced community quarantine (ECQ)
- Mandaue City – General community quarantine (GCQ)
- Lapu-Lapu City – General community quarantine (GCQ)
- Cebu Province
- Talisay City, Minglanilla, Consolacion: General community quarantine (GCQ)
- Other areas in Cebu Province: Modified general community quarantine (MGCQ)
COVID-19 Cases in Cebu City
On June 22, Secretary Cimatu was assigned by the President to oversee government’s COVID-19 response in Cebu City which is now tagged as the new ‘COVID-19 hotspot’ in the Philippines.
Cimatu noted the increasing death rates and the high positivity rate, wherein 30 out of 100 people tested yield positive COVID-19 test results. From June 23 to 29, the city alone recorded a total of 87 new deaths. On June 30, Cebu City logged its highest single-day increase of COVID-19 cases at 353.
The official also said he has requested from the national government the improvement of health facilities in Cebu City, including the setting up of additional hospital rooms in hospitals and additional quarantine stations.
As of June 30, 2020, Cebu City now has a total of 5,494 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 2,723 recoveries and 169 deaths or a fatality rate of 3.08%. Active cases is at 2,602.
Below is the summary of COVID-19 cases in Cebu City for the month of June:
Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ)
Under the stricter ECQ status:
- More business sectors will not be permitted to operate again; workers may need to go back to work-from-home
- Stricter border control
- Only those with quarantine pass are allowed to go out, if and only if, they are to purchase essential goods and services
- Malls, barbershops, churches will be closed again
☞ Up to 50% OFF on nearby hotels in Cebu.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The rates, contact details and other information indicated in this post are accurate from the time of writing but may change without Sugbo.ph's notice. Should you know the updated information, please message us on Facebook.