Calling out Sugbuanon Developers, IT enthusiasts, Educators at heart and Fluent Speakers of the Cebuano Language. This is a perfect time to join hands, do what you love and earn big prizes. Create your own educational app, help children learn how to read and write in Cebuano, and get a chance to win P100, 000 and cool gadgets!
Globe Telecom, in partnership with Molave Development Foundation, launches App Challenge Cebu 2016 to encourage the creation of educational Android apps that will teach K-3 pupils about reading and writing in Cebuano.
The apps are expected to help address the problem by teaching the half-a million Cebuano children in native alphabet and helping them build their vocabulary. Learning concepts will focus on colors, numbers, shapes, family members, and /or body parts.
The winning app will be disseminated to the network of schools and libraries in the country.
1. Form a group 3-4 members with at least one member who is fluent in Cebuano.
2. Teams may register at http://bit.ly/AppChallengeCebu2016
3. Submit the proposal by November 10, 2016.
(Teams based outside Cebu are expected to travel to Cebu for the Pitch & Awarding at their own capacity.)
4. The project proposal should be in PDF format of two pages or less should explain the following:
• How the Android app will respond to the required functionality,
• How it will appeal to the target audience of K-3 children and their parents,
• Any additional features or ideas to achieve the app’s learning objectives and illustrations and graphics that depict the concept
On November 11, the top (5) five qualifiers will be announce and will be invited to attend a one-day workshop via Brightspace on November 14. Technology and learning experts from Globe Telecom, Molave Development Foundation, and IREX will also participate in the online workshop to mentor the qualifying teams.
On December in Cebu, Live Beta version of the app must be 70% completed and will be presented during the face-to-face Pitch Day. By March 31, 2017 winning Android apps are expected to be completed and must be published to the Google App Store. It will also be disseminated to the network of libraries and schools in the country.
Prizes and Incentives
• The first prize winner will receive P100,000 for funding development
• A special gadget for each team member
• A long-term advisory with Molave and Globe Labs,
• And an audience with Kickstart Ventures, Inc., a fully-owned venture capital firm of Globe.
• The rest of the participants will be given tokens and consolation prizes.
Criteria for Judging
• Quality of Design-15%
• Appropriateness (content, learning outcomes)-30%
Qualifiers may use Globe Labs API for SMS, Voice, Charging, Sponsored Access and Location-Based Services to create their app.
Globe Telecom will not take ownership of the App. The winning team will have proprietary rights to the app.
Create your own educational app and help children learn how to read and write in Cebuano. Take part in educating our country’s younger generation while at same time earning by doing what you love.
So what are you waiting for? Assemble your dream team now.
For more information visit http://www.facebook.com/globelabs/ or email HackEdCebu2016@molavefoundation.org.